2021 Porsche Taycan Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
- Starting at $103,800 MSRP (Estimated)*
- All-Electric Powertrain featuring Two Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors and 93.4 kWh Performance Battery Plus and Two-Speed Transmission
- Overboost Power with Launch Control up to 522 HP (Taycan 4S), 670 HP (Taycan Turbo), or 750 HP (Taycan Turbo S)
- 800-Volt Performance Battery with Porsche Recuperation Management (PRM)
- Standard Mobile Charger and 270kW charging capability at 800V public charging stations
- Porsche Active Aerodynamics system including adaptive rear spoiler and adjustable cool air intakes
- Porsche Connect featuring available Porsche Intelligent Range Manager, Charging Planner, Route Monitor, and Apple CarPlay® integration
- Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with 10.9-inch central display, 8.4-inch center console control panel, and optional rear 5.9-inch touchscreen display
About the Porsche Taycan
Meticulously perfected with innovative technologies developed on the racetrack and on the roadways, Porsche sets its vision towards the future with the Taycan — a striking exhibition of an all-electric sports sedan. Originally imagined as the Porsche Mission E concept, the Taycan pushes the limits of electric driving possibilities. Making history as the first purely electric sports car for the Porsche brand, the Taycan boasts a total system voltage of 800V, a combined maximum system output of 750 horsepower, and blistering acceleration. Motorsports-inspired aerodynamics help the Taycan cut through the air and deliver sublime handling through the corners. A cleverly-positioned underbody battery gives the Taycan an optimal center of gravity. Inside the cabin, drivers will have access to a fully digital curved display adapted to suit the interior design that’s quintessentially Porsche. Advanced connectivity features help you monitor efficiency, charge, and performance with a quick glance at one of up to three different display screens inside the Porsche Taycan.
What the Critics Say
“The Taycan offers astoundingly quick acceleration, thanks to its electric all-wheel-drive system. It feels planted and agile around turns, yet it still delivers a smooth ride on rough roads. The interior is equally impressive. It’s elegantly styled, library quiet, and bristling with high-tech features. All in all, the Taycan lives up to the hype.” — U.S. News & World Report
“When the road turns into track, however, the Taycan turns into a Porsche. At our test facility for this story, the magnificent Atlanta Motorsports Park, the Taycan proved itself 100 percent worthy of the crest on its hood.” — Road and Track
What’s New for 2021
After debuting last year as the first all-electric vehicle from Porsche, the Taycan is back for 2021 with several exciting new updates. First, a total of seven new exterior colors make their debut on the Taycan for 2021: Mahogany Metallic, Cherry Metallic, Coffee Beige Metallic, Chalk, Neptune Blue, Ice Grey Metallic, and Frozenberry Metallic. A color head-up display is also now available across the model range.
Taycan models optioned with the adaptive air suspension system receive a new Smartlift function which can automatically raise the suspension at certain recurring locations such as a driveway. Featuring over-the-air updates, the Taycan is now available with a collection of subscription-based safety and entertainment features. Lastly, a new Plug & Charge feature automatically simplifies charging and a new smaller 79-kWh battery pack is offered on Taycan 4S models.
Porsche Taycan Features
The electrified Porsche Taycan is powered by two permanent magnet synchronous motors and 93.4 kWh performance battery plus paired with an advanced two-speed transmission. Total power outputs for the Taycan lineup are up to 522 HP (Taycan 4S), 670 HP (Taycan Turbo), or 750 HP (Taycan Turbo S) using Overboost Power with Launch Control. Taycan Turbo S models can accelerate from 0 to 60 MPH in a blistering 2.6 seconds using Launch Control on their way to a top speed of 161 MPH. Porsche Active Aerodynamics features including the adaptive rear spoiler and adjustable cool air intakes help boost both efficiency and performance. Optional Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) help slow the astounding power of the all-electric Porsche Taycan.
Two of the most vital aspects of electromobility are charge times and range distance. In an effort to revolutionize electric driving, the Porsche Taycan doubles the standard charging voltage to 800 volts. As a result, the Taycan delivers shorter charge times and lower vehicle weight thanks to the use of thinner-gauge copper wires in its charging system. In fact, you will have the ability to travel more than 200 miles on a single charge. Revolutionizing everyday practicality for an electric vehicle, the Taycan offers a variety of charging solutions while help to eliminate range anxiety. In addition to home charging capabilities, you’ll have access to Porsche Turbo Charging at authorized Porsche dealers along with an expanding network of Electrify America 800V DC fast charging stations.
Technology & Driver Assistance
Included across the model range, Porsche Connect is your centralized hub for information and media inside the Porsche Taycan. Simply say “Hey Porsche” and your car will then respond using Porsche Voice Pilot. Porsche Connect helps you to get more out of your daily commute with an assortment of features such as the read-aloud function to keep you informed of the latest news all over the world. Advanced driver-assistive technologies available on the Taycan include Porsche InnoDrive including adaptive cruise control, Active Lane Keeping, Traffic Jam Assist, Night Vision Assist, and Surround View. Porsche Entry & Drive allows you to leave your car key in your pocket thanks to its ability the encrypted access code stored on the key.
Elegant Interior Design
Iconic design features have been re-imagined and brought into the digital age inside the Porsche Taycan. Simplistic elegance and minimalism are two instantly recognizable of the cabin design. An innovative instrument cluster consists of a curved 16.8-inch screen with the rounded look that’s typical of Porsche. Drivers can choose between four display modes – Classic, Map, Full Map, and Pure to personalize the way they view critical information. “Race-Tex” material is used in place of leather for the seat upholstery, offering a high-quality microfibre material partially consisting of recycled polyester fibers. Black-Lime Beige, Blackberry, Atacama Beige, and Meranti Brown are exclusively available for the interior of the Taycan. Another sign of the future, interior airflows are now controlled both digitally and fully automatically via Virtual Airflow Control. Features such as Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) can quickly be accessed on the central screen.
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $103,800 MSRP (Estimated)*
- AC Permanent Synchronous Motor (390 kW/522 hp)
- Integrated Porsche 4D Chassis Control
- LED Headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
- 16.8-inch curved display for driver including external touchscreen control panels for lighting and chassis functions
- On-Board DC-Charger with 50 kW/400V (DC) and AC-charger with 9.6kW (AC)
- Starting at $150,900 MSRP (Estimated)*
- Porsche Surface Coated Brakes with white calipers
- PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) electronic damper control
- Four driving modes: Range, Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus
- Optional Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport)
- Central 10.9-inch infotainment display and an optional passenger display
Taycan Turbo S
- Starting at $185,000 MSRP (Estimated)*
- Adaptive Sport Seats (18-Way) with Memory Package
- Optional Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System
- Available SportDesign Carbon Fiber Package
- Optional Porsche Intelligent Range Manager
- Available Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Change Assist
Prices listed are estimates, official pricing still to be released for the 2021 model year. Current Taycan models are listed above. Additional trims are expected to be unveiled in the upcoming months.
*Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price. Excludes options; taxes; title; registration; delivery, processing and handling fee; dealer charges. Dealer sets actual selling price.